Stage 6 of the NextSteps Projects consists of three distinct parts:
Part 1a | Create Concept Digital Audio Files
A specific set of compositions from the Jazz Suite Roots & Reflections has been recorded digitally, that is to say, I have played the piano part and the bass part separately accompanied by a standard simplified drum score applicable to the particular composition (swing, latin, fusion, ballad). See below.
Part 1b | Derive Sheet Music.
From these Concept Digital Audio Files the subsequent sheet music is derived using applicable software, thus creating four scores: piano, bass, drums and a full score. Now you can use the scores yourself, either by ‘following them’ during listening or may be even by playing it yourself. To download the sheet music click here.
Part 2 | Record the compositions solo.
For the solo recordings I selected a specific set of compositions to play at the grand piano. To see how that turned out click here. The sheet music however was meant to turn over to the a bass player and a drummer. Within the context of this particular music project It allowed us to dive directly into the studio recordings without any rehearsal. See part 3.
Part 3 | Record the compositions wit a jazz trio.
For the trio recordings we used the sheet music as primary guideline to get started. But we also played around a bit with it and tweaked the compositions ‘on the fly’ so to speak. It was a great experience to see my music fortified by such great musicians as Eric van der Westen on bass and Marc Schenk on drums. To check out how that turned out click here.
Below you can listen to the digital audio files of the 12 compositions as performed by Bart Flos Solo and Bart Flos Trio as part of NextSteps Projects Stage 6 Part 2 and 3.
Please note: these digital audio files are concepts and not ‘ready compositions’. They are rough versions of the compositions to be and are not meant to be officially published. Its sole purpose is to derive sheet music from it to handover to a bass player and drummer.
To be exact:
- The drum score is just a simple, basic ‘one way’ track within the style of the composition: swing, latin, fusion or ballad.
- The bass score is recorded on a keyboard by using a (state of the art) digital acoustic bass.
- The piano score is recorded on a keyboard using a (state of the art) digital acoustic grand piano.
- No solo’s have been recorded.
- In some compositions you will find that drums, bass and piano continue on without solo to outline the structure of the compositions.
- No specific beginning or endings have been recorded. The compositions just start and sometimes abruptly finish.
- Here and there you can here ‘digital corrections’ the software has made in the various scores to fit the sheet music.
The tracks below are a promise of what will be. Would you like to know how that turned out? Click here to buy my Triple CD Jazz Album!
01 Origin Alpha Prime
02 My Explanation
03 Free Speech
04 Blue in Green
05 Origin Delta South
06 Blues Buddies
07 A Slightly Purple Blue Bossa
08 Origin’s Roots Rested
09 Minor Differences
10 Origin Beta Four
11 Can You See